CARE AND USE OF YOUR DEVICE
One of the initial steps in preparing your residual limb for a prosthesis is with the use of an RRD or removable rigid dressing. An RRD is a cast that goes up to the kneecap and is custom made to the shape of the limb. The purposes of the RRD are to:
- Reduce the amount of fluid or edema in the limb.
- Keep the residual limb at a more consistent volume.
- “Shape” the residual limb so that it is a more ideal shape and size to fit into a prosthesis.
- Protect the limb from bumps or falls.
- Allow for easy access to the limb for inspection and cleaning.
Have a question about your Below the Knee Removable Rigid Dressing?
Call Us: (866) 843-8325
- An RRD may be used with or without a shrinker. If used with a shrinker, please go to Below Knee Shrinker for application and use instructions. If using a shrinker, apply the shrinker onto the limb first. Make sure the shrinker is pulled taut with no wrinkles (See Figure 1).
- Apply the appropriate thickness sock or number of socks onto the limb (See Figure 2). If using a shrinker, the socks go over the shrinker. When the correct amount of socks are worn, it should be a very snug fit within the cast.
- Apply the rigid cast (See Figure 3). The cast will fit directly under the kneecap.
- Apply the suspension sock over the cast (See Figure 4) and strap the elastic band above the kneecap around the thigh. (See Figure 5). The suspension sock can then be folded down over the strap and cast (See Figure 6).
- Wear the RRD at all times, day and night, except when you are bathing yourself or the limb is being inspected.
- Remember to keep your leg straight when sitting or laying down. Do not let your leg hang downward when sitting. Do not sit with your knee bent.
Cleaning and Maintenance:
Follow the manufacturer’s directions to clean the shrinker and the socks. Most recommend hand or machine wash on low settings with mild soap. Machine dry on low or hang to dry.
Tips and Problem Solving:
If the RRD is sliding off of the limb, either it is too loose or the strap above the knee is not put on correctly. Check the position of the strap above the knee or add more socks as appropriate.
Contact your prosthetist if you have any questions or problems.