CARE AND USE OF YOUR DEVICE
A CAM walker limits the movement of the ankle and/or foot. It may be prescribed for a severe sprain or a fracture after cast removal. It contains an air bladder that can be adjusted to improve comfort and fit. It should only be worn by the person that was measured and custom fit for the device.
- Apply a long cotton sock.
- Unfasten all of the Velcro straps on the boot.
- Place foot inside the soft liner, ensuring that the heel is all the way to the back of the liner.
- Close the soft liner.
- Fasten all of the Velcro straps.
- With the small valve in the “closed” position, press the blue pump on the front of the boot to increase volume of air in the bladders for improved comfort.
- If you need to release some of the air, twist the black knob to the “open” position.
Wear the CAM walker according to your doctor’s instructions. Be careful when wearing on stairs and ramps as the CAM walker limits ankle motion that is used to maintain balance.
Cleaning & Maintenance
If your physician allows you to take off your CAM walker, you may wash the inner liner when necessary. Remove the liner from the frame and wash in warm water with a mild detergent. Allow to air dry completely before placing back in the frame. Do not place liner in washing machine or dryer as it may damage the inner air bladders. The frame of the boot may be cleaned with a damp cloth. Ensure both liner and frame are dry before putting it back on.
If you experience any problems with the boot, please call your Clinician.